Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antivirus

Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2013 4:24:19 PM

Hello, It seems to me that Window 7 windows defender is an adequant antivirus program to keep my pc safe. i have malwarebytes fre installed an find that it spots problems if there are any. i have advancedsystemcare antivirus ultimate6 intalled which is vey good but insists in interupting my work at the most inconveniant times. my question is do i need these programs while defender is operating?

More about : antivirus

a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 4:27:57 PM

windows defender is meant for malware so you should use some kind of antivirus...but you should not have multiple antivirus programs running as they can conflict with each other and eat up all of your ram making the system feel slow
    m
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    January 16, 2013 4:30:45 PM

Windows Defender is not an antivirus. It is antispyware.

A decent non-intrusive free antivirus software that does not take up to much resources would be MS security essentials. Its not the best at keeping a PC safe from viruses but if you know WHAT NOT TO DO ON THE INTERNET, it will do the rest.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-ess...
      m
      l
      Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
      January 16, 2013 5:12:04 PM

john hare said:
      Hello, It seems to me that Window 7 windows defender is an adequant antivirus program to keep my pc safe. i have malwarebytes fre installed an find that it spots problems if there are any. i have advancedsystemcare antivirus ultimate6 intalled which is vey good but insists in interupting my work at the most inconveniant times. my question is do i need these programs while defender is operating?

You can most probably configure Advanced SystemCare to stop or at least limit/shorten the interruptions, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can have two of a different type of security software operating at the same time, but if system resources are a problem, then the one you should disable is Windows Defender... and if system resources are a real problem the lightest antivirus I know of is Avast Antivirus (Free or Paid) is configurable to interrupt your activities the least possible, to work silently, and to cutdown popups down to 1 or even 0 zero seconds.
        January 22, 2013 6:55:17 AM

Yup you need a good antivirus softwares! There are dozens of free antivirus programs that exist now you can use the trial version, after you find out which one is the best you can go with paid version of the antivirus software that you like! I personally use Comodo antivirus which suits my pc, There are some other antivirus also like avast, kaspersky etc, you can try any of it.
          m
          l
          January 23, 2013 8:09:39 AM

I think Windows Defender is antimalware, so you may want an antivirus as well. I recommend you try Unthreat Antivirus, I've had it for a while now and I'm very happy with it. It doesn't slow down my computer while scanning which seem to be the problem you're facing so this should work for you!
            m
            l
            February 2, 2013 6:21:10 AM

Best answer selected by john hare.
              m
              l
              February 2, 2013 6:22:11 AM

:bounce: 
              Chicano said:
              You can most probably configure Advanced SystemCare to stop or at least limit/shorten the interruptions, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can have two of a different type of security software operating at the same time, but if system resources are a problem, then the one you should disable is Windows Defender... and if system resources are a real problem the lightest antivirus I know of is Avast Antivirus (Free or Paid) is configurable to interrupt your activities the least possible, to work silently, and to cutdown popups down to 1 or even 0 zero seconds.

m
                l
                !
                web counter